Applicants to the Research Assistant System (Kenkyu Shienin Seido) Invited
Office for the Promotion of Diversity is currently taking application for those interested to use Research Assistant System during the period from April 1, 2022 through March 31, 2023
This time, all the procedures will be done online.
1．Purpose and Outline
The Research Assistant System is aimed to enable both male and female researchers at the Sophia School Corporation to continue their research activities while maintaining work-life-balance. We provide “Research Assistants” for the Sophia researchers who must dedicate their time for their childcare or elderly care so that they can continue their research without facing disadvantage in their careers. Recipients of this support system are expected to provide on-the job training to their Research Assistants and to become role models in balancing work and life.
Among the full-time faculty members and research fellows,
①A pregnant mother before her maternity leave.
②A single parent (father or mother) or a spouse of a full-time worker raising his or her child aged up to the 3rd grade. Even if one’s spouse isn’t working full time, he or she may be eligible depending on his/her family situations.
③A single or a spouse of a full-time worker taking care of his/her parent(s) or relatives who has(ve) certification of needed long term care except those who are taking care leave. Even if one’s spouse isn’t working full time, he or she may be eligible depending on his/her family situations.
3．Qualifications and Duties of a Research Assistant
A Research Assistant must have a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in the same research area or a related discipline of the applicant. Current graduate students are also welcome.
Duties of a Research Assistant include:
- Supporting research activities
- Providing educational assistance (preparation for classes etc.)
4．Allowance for a Research Assistant
Up to 1,350yen per hour
Transportation fee (maximum of 1,000yen per day)
5．Research Assistant’s work hours
- Maximum of 6 hours per week, up to 2 days a week.
＊No more than 40 weeks during the contract period.
- Between 9am-5pm weekdays. Late-shift is negotiable but no later than 10pm.
＊Research support activities must be conducted at the Sophia School Campus.
- At the moment, however, we are discussing the possibility of telework. We will inform the support recipients of the final decision after April 2022.
6．Duration of Research Assistant’s work contract
From April 1, 2022 through March 31, 2023.
7．How to apply
Please download the following files. Fill in the forms and submit them to the Office for the Promotion of Diversity.
- ①【Form1】Application form for Research Assistant System 1【Word(42KB)／PDF(52KB)】
- ②【Form2】Application form for Research Assistant System 2【Word(23KB)／PDF(59KB)】
- ③【Form3】A Letter of Permission【Word(22KB)／PDF(49KB)】
8．Research Support System recipients’ responsibilities
- Submit your Research Assistant’s time-sheet at the end of each month to the Office for the Promotion of Diversity. Please be sure to meet the submission deadline (the fist day of the month following the last working day. If the 1st day is Sat. or Sun, the deadline will be the following Mon.)
- Submit a report including the following points upon concluding the term.
- - How your Research Assistant helped your time management, research performance and psychological states.
- - How effective you were as your Research Assistant’s mentor in helping her/his career development.
The decision of recipients will be made by the Diversity Promotion Committee Chairman, Director of Office for the Promotion of Diversity,
and several members of the Diversity Promotion Committee.
February 15(Tue), 2022
If you need more information, please contact us.